Friday, May 14, 2010

Day #6

Dear Diary,

Mrs. Wallace* is officially my new favorite teacher at my new school. Not that she wasn't before but my other teachers aren't like her. They don't try and understand us like Mrs. Wallace* does. They stand at the head of the class and read, then write some notes on the board, check to make sure we're doing them, then read some more. It's like they're robots with no brains. Kinda like the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz. I love that movie. Anyways, they do the same thing in every class. Nothing changes. That must be pretty boring. But Mrs. Wallace, she's different. I feel like she really gets us. It makes learning so much more fun because I feel like each assignment was especially designed with me in mind. I love it. And it makes me really enjoy that class. In my other classes I always wanna sleep or text or go to Mrs. Wallace's room. Shouldn't I want to learn?? Isn't it their job to make me want to attend school. I feel so bad for them. They must know that the kids find their classes boring. I just don't understand them. Its like there is this giant wall between us. Its a glass wall so I can still see them. But I can't hear anything they say so I can understand anything they want me to learn. Mrs. Wallace jumps right over that wall. She grabs our attention. She makes me feel like its okay to learn and have fun at the same time. I wish all my teachers were like that.

Signed,
Christeen

John Dewey changed the view on education from engineered mechanism to progressive learning. Children learn experimentally. Learning is natural. If you present a problem to kids, their natural curiosity will help in their cooperative learning. Script reading, like most teachers are doing nowadays does not interest the kids. Therefore it doesn't benefit the kids who will eventually stop caring. It is our job as teachers to grab their attention and make them want to learn. And if that means taking the road less traveled and going against the school systems scripts, then its what we MUST do. The future is in our hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment